Browse F.A.Q. Topics
What do you do if your partner is more experienced than you are?In football terms, she’s the defense and you’re the offense. Since you don’t play the same position, or even on the same side of the ball, you have different jobs and responsibilities. So just because she took some dance classes before, that doesn’t come into play at all with your role as the leader/quarterback.
How often should I come in for my lessons?If possible, keep your lessons as close together in the beginning of your program. This allows your teacher to get your brain and body to cooperate much sooner.
Where am I going to use this stuff I’m learning anyway?You can put everything you’re learning into action right away at one of our practice parties. Outside of that, many of our students use their dancing at wedding receptions, reunions, and company parties. If you’re planning a vacation, going on a cruise will usually provide several different themed rooms to dance in. Lastly, there are nightclubs you can go to as well. Whether it’s salsa or country, there’s a little bit of everything out there. The more you know in your dancing, the more you have to choose from.
(Bride) I’m taking lessons for my wedding, should I dance in my wedding shoes?Your wedding shoes are a part of the finishing touches to your overall “wedding look”. Unfortunately, they aren’t always designed for comfort, or dancing. We’d recommend that you bring your shoes in so your teacher can see how well you can move in them and determine the best course of action. In a perfect world, we’d suggest to get a pair of white ballroom dancing shoes to wear for the first dance and reception. Your guests won’t even know and, trust us, they will be so much more comfortable.
What do I wear for my first lesson?We have students that come to their lessons straight from work or straight from the gym, so what ever’s comfortable or convenient is fine with us.
I’d like to get a pair of ballroom dance shoes, what should I look for?For guys your first pair should be regular, non-patent, leather in a standard heel. Because of the softness of the leather, the shoes will stretch more than normal so some dancers get a half size smaller than normal street shoes. For girls we recommend any of the heels as long as they aren’t higher than 2.5 inches. In addition, we always recommend a nude or bronze colored shoe for your first pair.
What kind of shoes should I wear for my lesson?You can wear any type of shoe that won’t slip off of your feet. So dress shoes or sneakers are fine, just skip the sandals. The other option is ballroom dance shoes which have a suede sole and softer leather.
- I have been going to Arthur Murray Orlando for more than a year now and let me just say that making the decision to go to arthur murray was one of the best decisions i have ever made. There is so much more than ballroom dancing lessons there. there is a caring and amazing staff, a fun and energetic atmosphere, and amazing events that always provide a fun experience for all. You always leave with smile on your face and nothing beats that feeling! It is also a great confidence booster too.Idean Rezaei
- Wanna have your life transformed? That's what happened when I went to Arthur Murray Dance Studio in Orlando. The question "would you like to dance?" always paralyzed me and after decades of living with that I decided to do something. From my first visit, the entire team at the studio made me feel welcome, encouraged me through my awkward moments, unlocked my sense of timing, taught me a variety of dance steps to cover almost any social situation, and provided an environment which builds confidence as well as long-lasting friendships with other students. Over the course of my lessons I've had the priviledge of seeing the instructors work with other students. Every interaction is unique, tailored to each student's needs, style of learning and interests. The studio is filled with laughter and support. So, who wants to dance? Let's go NOW!
- Loved it! Had a wonderful time and can't wait to take it back up!Apryl C.
- My wife and I originally went to Arthur Murray Orlando to prepare for our daughter's wedding, 3 years ago. We found a hobby we love because we were treated so well by the staff. We enjoy our private lessons, group lessons, parties and special events. We feel as though walking in the door of the studio was one of the smartest decisions we ever made.A Google User
- Zuri was the best coach for us, by far, because he knew exactly how to make each of our classes FUN! After a long work day, the last thing we wanted to stress about was our wedding dance and social dance abilities, or lack there of... and Zuri made sure we smiled, laughed and learned every step of the way. We lover our time with him so much, that we made sure a few people video'ed our wedding dance, for no other reason than to show him how we did 😉 Most importantly, instead of trying to force his ways or teaching style or expectations on us, he was able to recognize what we wanted out of our lesson time with him, and gave us exactly that, which is rare for most instructors of any craft. We highly highly recommend this dance studio as well as Zuri himself!!!Erik D.
- We were looking for a dance school for a long time since we cruise a lot and had to sit on the side and watched. Finally we found Arthur Murray Dance Studio. It has been one and a half years since we took lessons and we progressed a lot. You feel like family in the studio. The instructors and everybody in the studio are friendly. Yes, it is very very expensive, but if you enjoy it's worth a lot. Gwen and Jonathan.A Google User