Browse F.A.Q. Topics
What do you do if your partner is more experienced than you are?In football terms, she’s the defense and you’re the offense. Since you don’t play the same position, or even on the same side of the ball, you have different jobs and responsibilities. So just because she took some dance classes before, that doesn’t come into play at all with your role as the leader/quarterback.
How often should I come in for my lessons?If possible, keep your lessons as close together in the beginning of your program. This allows your teacher to get your brain and body to cooperate much sooner.
Where am I going to use this stuff I’m learning anyway?You can put everything you’re learning into action right away at one of our practice parties. Outside of that, many of our students use their dancing at wedding receptions, reunions, and company parties. If you’re planning a vacation, going on a cruise will usually provide several different themed rooms to dance in. Lastly, there are nightclubs you can go to as well. Whether it’s salsa or country, there’s a little bit of everything out there. The more you know in your dancing, the more you have to choose from.
(Bride) I’m taking lessons for my wedding, should I dance in my wedding shoes?Your wedding shoes are a part of the finishing touches to your overall “wedding look”. Unfortunately, they aren’t always designed for comfort, or dancing. We’d recommend that you bring your shoes in so your teacher can see how well you can move in them and determine the best course of action. In a perfect world, we’d suggest to get a pair of white ballroom dancing shoes to wear for the first dance and reception. Your guests won’t even know and, trust us, they will be so much more comfortable.
What do I wear for my first lesson?We have students that come to their lessons straight from work or straight from the gym, so what ever’s comfortable or convenient is fine with us.
I’d like to get a pair of ballroom dance shoes, what should I look for?For guys your first pair should be regular, non-patent, leather in a standard heel. Because of the softness of the leather, the shoes will stretch more than normal so some dancers get a half size smaller than normal street shoes. For girls we recommend any of the heels as long as they aren’t higher than 2.5 inches. In addition, we always recommend a nude or bronze colored shoe for your first pair.
What kind of shoes should I wear for my lesson?You can wear any type of shoe that won’t slip off of your feet. So dress shoes or sneakers are fine, just skip the sandals. The other option is ballroom dance shoes which have a suede sole and softer leather.
- It is a tiny detail, but when I saw other studios NOT doing so, it became extremely important to me. Our instructors ALWAYS escorted their partner onto and off of the dance floor! Nobody ever stood awkwardly wondering where to go. Love to all, and I can't wait to get back to you!Bobbie N.
- Awesome studio awesome Staff! Great fun and I would highly recommend the studio 🙂A Google User
- Wanna have your life transformed? That's what happened when I went to Arthur Murray Dance Studio in Orlando. The question "would you like to dance?" always paralyzed me and after decades of living with that I decided to do something. From my first visit, the entire team at the studio made me feel welcome, encouraged me through my awkward moments, unlocked my sense of timing, taught me a variety of dance steps to cover almost any social situation, and provided an environment which builds confidence as well as long-lasting friendships with other students. Over the course of my lessons I've had the priviledge of seeing the instructors work with other students. Every interaction is unique, tailored to each student's needs, style of learning and interests. The studio is filled with laughter and support. So, who wants to dance? Let's go NOW!
- My new husband and I started taking lessons at Arthur Murray a few months before our wedding. We wanted a fun, choreographed dance for our wedding - and we got just that! Our instructor, Andy, helped us learn a routine that fit our style and was perfect for us. Our first dance as a married couple was a hit at the wedding and our guests really loved it. We had a lot of fun with it! Thanks Andy and Arthur Murray Dance Studio! Andrew & Katie KeelKatie S.
- i came to arthur murray in late nov 2010 to get out and meet ppl and do something i always wanted to do. now this has become my 2nd home and i love every minute i spend there. i love to dance and at first i was a little shy and reserved and always thought that ppl are watching me, i got over that and i really don't care if someone is watching, we are all learning there. thanks to all the great instructors ,past ;-( and present, for being patient (Z) flirty (G) and somewhat pushy (S). (you know who you are ). everyone there including all the students are very supportive and great. it's the best thing i have done for myself in a long time. oh, by the way the added benefit of dancing.... weightloss and confidence booster. ;-DA Google User
- Everyone is extremely helpful and always in a great mood! I love coming to dance!!!Nicole P.