Browse F.A.Q. Topics
What do you do if your partner is more experienced than you are?In football terms, she’s the defense and you’re the offense. Since you don’t play the same position, or even on the same side of the ball, you have different jobs and responsibilities. So just because she took some dance classes before, that doesn’t come into play at all with your role as the leader/quarterback.
How often should I come in for my lessons?If possible, keep your lessons as close together in the beginning of your program. This allows your teacher to get your brain and body to cooperate much sooner.
Where am I going to use this stuff I’m learning anyway?You can put everything you’re learning into action right away at one of our practice parties. Outside of that, many of our students use their dancing at wedding receptions, reunions, and company parties. If you’re planning a vacation, going on a cruise will usually provide several different themed rooms to dance in. Lastly, there are nightclubs you can go to as well. Whether it’s salsa or country, there’s a little bit of everything out there. The more you know in your dancing, the more you have to choose from.
(Bride) I’m taking lessons for my wedding, should I dance in my wedding shoes?Your wedding shoes are a part of the finishing touches to your overall “wedding look”. Unfortunately, they aren’t always designed for comfort, or dancing. We’d recommend that you bring your shoes in so your teacher can see how well you can move in them and determine the best course of action. In a perfect world, we’d suggest to get a pair of white ballroom dancing shoes to wear for the first dance and reception. Your guests won’t even know and, trust us, they will be so much more comfortable.
What do I wear for my first lesson?We have students that come to their lessons straight from work or straight from the gym, so what ever’s comfortable or convenient is fine with us.
I’d like to get a pair of ballroom dance shoes, what should I look for?For guys your first pair should be regular, non-patent, leather in a standard heel. Because of the softness of the leather, the shoes will stretch more than normal so some dancers get a half size smaller than normal street shoes. For girls we recommend any of the heels as long as they aren’t higher than 2.5 inches. In addition, we always recommend a nude or bronze colored shoe for your first pair.
What kind of shoes should I wear for my lesson?You can wear any type of shoe that won’t slip off of your feet. So dress shoes or sneakers are fine, just skip the sandals. The other option is ballroom dance shoes which have a suede sole and softer leather.
- It's a great atmosphere to learn and to take ur dancing skills to the next level. I love it and I really recommend this place.A Google User
- We were looking for a dance school for a long time since we cruise a lot and had to sit on the side and watched. Finally we found Arthur Murray Dance Studio. It has been one and a half years since we took lessons and we progressed a lot. You feel like family in the studio. The instructors and everybody in the studio are friendly. Yes, it is very very expensive, but if you enjoy it's worth a lot. Gwen and Jonathan.A Google User
- Fantastic instructors and dancers!!! The studio is beautiful with a friendly and fun atmosphereA Google User
- Great studio to learn literally any dance you want. Always leave with a smile. Instructors are kind and friendly and never make me feel overwhelmed with a new move. Speaking of moves after a year of practicing now I have them! I mean I had them before the year was up but you know what I mean. I feel very comfortable on a dance floor now.Ross Blanco
- A place full of Masters!Shaketh S.
- I love that I took up a new hobby that has given me so much in terms of physical activity, learning something new every time, and making new friends, and so much more! I find myself missing the studio when I am not there!Joanne L.