Browse F.A.Q. Topics
What do you do if your partner is more experienced than you are?In football terms, she’s the defense and you’re the offense. Since you don’t play the same position, or even on the same side of the ball, you have different jobs and responsibilities. So just because she took some dance classes before, that doesn’t come into play at all with your role as the leader/quarterback.
How often should I come in for my lessons?If possible, keep your lessons as close together in the beginning of your program. This allows your teacher to get your brain and body to cooperate much sooner.
Where am I going to use this stuff I’m learning anyway?You can put everything you’re learning into action right away at one of our practice parties. Outside of that, many of our students use their dancing at wedding receptions, reunions, and company parties. If you’re planning a vacation, going on a cruise will usually provide several different themed rooms to dance in. Lastly, there are nightclubs you can go to as well. Whether it’s salsa or country, there’s a little bit of everything out there. The more you know in your dancing, the more you have to choose from.
(Bride) I’m taking lessons for my wedding, should I dance in my wedding shoes?Your wedding shoes are a part of the finishing touches to your overall “wedding look”. Unfortunately, they aren’t always designed for comfort, or dancing. We’d recommend that you bring your shoes in so your teacher can see how well you can move in them and determine the best course of action. In a perfect world, we’d suggest to get a pair of white ballroom dancing shoes to wear for the first dance and reception. Your guests won’t even know and, trust us, they will be so much more comfortable.
What do I wear for my first lesson?We have students that come to their lessons straight from work or straight from the gym, so what ever’s comfortable or convenient is fine with us.
I’d like to get a pair of ballroom dance shoes, what should I look for?For guys your first pair should be regular, non-patent, leather in a standard heel. Because of the softness of the leather, the shoes will stretch more than normal so some dancers get a half size smaller than normal street shoes. For girls we recommend any of the heels as long as they aren’t higher than 2.5 inches. In addition, we always recommend a nude or bronze colored shoe for your first pair.
What kind of shoes should I wear for my lesson?You can wear any type of shoe that won’t slip off of your feet. So dress shoes or sneakers are fine, just skip the sandals. The other option is ballroom dance shoes which have a suede sole and softer leather.
- Friendly atmosphere.Giovanni V.
- I have always wanted to take lessons, but just never got around to it. I finally decided to take the leap and I have been addicted from the first lesson. The staff are all great people and make everyone feel welcome right at the start. The lessons and dance parties are so much fun, that the time just flies. It's a nice perk too that it's such good exercise. I have told everyone I know that they should give it a try, and even signed up my daughter. The instructors are very knowledgeable and talented, and terrific teachers. I wish I had started doing this years ago. It has been a very positive experience.Julie Collins
- Wow, where do I begin... Arthur Murray has been such an amazing gift to my life and my dancing. I started at this studio a little shy of a year ago and I have absolutely no regrets. From the moment you start as a student there, you are made to feel like part of the family. The entire team, from the staff to the instructors, genuinely cares about your progress and really helps you achieve your goals. Yes, it can be a very costly part of your life, but it is well worth it. You get the chance to be a performing star or even to gain the confidence to dance socially because everyone at Arthur Murray welcomes you with open arms, despite your previous dance experience. There are not enough words or compliments I can give Arthur Murray Orlando because I am so proud to be a part of their family!A Google User
- Awesome staff and facility!strongly recommend for learning how to dance in amazing atmosphere.Mikolay Czarnecki
- I love this place. I really appreciate my first experience in dancing with an instructor.A Google User
- awesome teachers friendly environment excellent staff class 45 minutes not enough for the moneyJoesph P.