Helpful Hints for Couples
Here at Arthur Murray we specialize in teaching couples to dance.
Here at Arthur Murray we specialize in teaching couples to dance. Teaching couples is different from teaching individuals and requires special care.
Teachers are trained to make learning fun and easy, and you can help by remembering the following:
- Let your teacher do the teaching. This means avoid finding fault with each other which can be distracting.
- It’s not how many steps you know; it’s how you execute them. (You always notice good dancers by how they move, not by how many patterns they do.) Learning too many steps too soon results in bad habits and frustration at not executing them properly.
- In teaching couples, we have learned that men typically progress slower because they have more to do and tend to be more analytical or mechanical. Women, on the other hand, feel movement quicker and therefore, THE LADY MUST TRY TO BE PATIENT AND NOT EXPECT TOO MUCH TOO SOON.
- It’s important to keep your lessons close together, and more importantly to use them in close conjunction with group lessons and practice lessons. Ideally, each visit should be scheduled to include more than one activity. This will aid you in making speedy progress and gaining confidence in your dancing in a shorter period of time.
- Communicate with your teacher so that he or she will know what to teach you and the way you like to be taught. The more we know about your dance needs the better we can plan your lessons now and prepare your future program.
- Coming to this studio has been one of the greatest experiences of my life. My (then) fiance and I wanted to prepare for our first wedding dance. My husband also wanted to learn a little basic dancing for events with my family where it would help if he knew how to salsa. The teachers are wonderful. Everything is clearly explained and the teachers really get to know your strengths and weaknesses. They also take your personal taste into account. We didn't want to do a sappy first wedding dance, we wanted to swing. It was so much fun and everyone was really impressed. My husband was really proud and I learned more than I ever had before. If you want to learn anything, you'd best come to this studio!Kat Moreno
- I have always wanted to take lessons, but just never got around to it. I finally decided to take the leap and I have been addicted from the first lesson. The staff are all great people and make everyone feel welcome right at the start. The lessons and dance parties are so much fun, that the time just flies. It's a nice perk too that it's such good exercise. I have told everyone I know that they should give it a try, and even signed up my daughter. The instructors are very knowledgeable and talented, and terrific teachers. I wish I had started doing this years ago. It has been a very positive experience.Julie Collins
- As an Instructor at Arthur Murray Orlando, I am part of one of the greatest teams in the world, and I'm proud of it! How many days a month do you wake up and want to stay in bed? It never happens to me anymore! The FAMILY of students and instructors at Arthur Murray gives me every reason to look forward to EVERY day. The energy at the studio, the learning, the fun atmosphere, the motivation to excel, the increasing self-confidence, and the genuine care from everyone are just some of the features that I look forward to witnessing in my day. You can dance anywhere (even in your own living room), but dancing at Arthur Murray Orlando is a one-of-a-kind experience. Dancing can and will improve the life of anyone who allows it in. Give it a try. It's the best decision I've made. It could be yours.A Google User
- I have been going to Arthur Murray Orlando for more than a year now and let me just say that making the decision to go to arthur murray was one of the best decisions i have ever made. There is so much more than ballroom dancing lessons there. there is a caring and amazing staff, a fun and energetic atmosphere, and amazing events that always provide a fun experience for all. You always leave with smile on your face and nothing beats that feeling! It is also a great confidence booster too.Idean Rezaei
- It was awesome, great instructors and wonderful atmosphere.Elizabeth Vazquez
- awesome teachers friendly environment excellent staff class 45 minutes not enough for the moneyJoesph P.
- I'm having the best time ever! The instructors are fantastic! Nice, friendly, caring, really helping me become the dancer I've always dreamed of being.Wendy H.
- My wife and I had an amazing experience. Our instructor was lovely and the eviroment was very relaxing.A Google User
- Great studio to learn literally any dance you want. Always leave with a smile. Instructors are kind and friendly and never make me feel overwhelmed with a new move. Speaking of moves after a year of practicing now I have them! I mean I had them before the year was up but you know what I mean. I feel very comfortable on a dance floor now.Ross Blanco
- Fantastic instructors and dancers!!! The studio is beautiful with a friendly and fun atmosphereA Google User
- Justin was awesome, I'm so thankful I had him as my dance teacher.A Google User
- The teachers are very informative, knowledgable and able to work with all levels of ability as well as a wide range of age groups. The studio is clean and very friendly!Jennah K.
- We were looking for a dance school for a long time since we cruise a lot and had to sit on the side and watched. Finally we found Arthur Murray Dance Studio. It has been one and a half years since we took lessons and we progressed a lot. You feel like family in the studio. The instructors and everybody in the studio are friendly. Yes, it is very very expensive, but if you enjoy it's worth a lot. Gwen and Jonathan.A Google User
- I love this place. I really appreciate my first experience in dancing with an instructor.A Google User
- My Fiance and I wanted to "step up" our dance skills for our first dance as husband and wife, we turned to a few dance studios and Arthur Murray was just the best. They responded to our emails right away and welcomed us in for a free 30 minute lesson to make sure we liked it. Well we loved it and purchased (6) 30 minute lessons with Kris Kohlhaas. Kris was phenomenal and took two uncomfortable beginners and made us comfortable and confident on the dance floor! If you are just beginning or have years of dance experience, GO TO ARTHUR MURRAY DANCE CENTER!! They are simply the best!!Cassie Whittemore
- It is a tiny detail, but when I saw other studios NOT doing so, it became extremely important to me. Our instructors ALWAYS escorted their partner onto and off of the dance floor! Nobody ever stood awkwardly wondering where to go. Love to all, and I can't wait to get back to you!Bobbie N.
- This place offers it all; dance skills at all levels, social opportunities, great source of exercise as well as being a place to just let all the cares of the week go and have fun!!! Where else can you all that?!! The instructors are well-trained and friendly. Whether for singles or couples its well worth the effort it takes to get out of my chair and go dance!!!A Google User
- Dropped in for a social dance while in town on a whim. Really nice studio and diverse mix of students. Fun energetic atmosphere. Friendly instructors. Highly recommended.Roberto Olivares
- My new husband and I started taking lessons at Arthur Murray a few months before our wedding. We wanted a fun, choreographed dance for our wedding - and we got just that! Our instructor, Andy, helped us learn a routine that fit our style and was perfect for us. Our first dance as a married couple was a hit at the wedding and our guests really loved it. We had a lot of fun with it! Thanks Andy and Arthur Murray Dance Studio! Andrew & Katie KeelKatie S.
- If you want to do something positive for yourself, sign up for lessons at Arthur Murray Orlando! I've been taking lessons since last August and it's been wonderful! The instructors are fantastic and everyone is friendly and encouraging.A Google User
- Wanna have your life transformed? That's what happened when I went to Arthur Murray Dance Studio in Orlando. The question "would you like to dance?" always paralyzed me and after decades of living with that I decided to do something. From my first visit, the entire team at the studio made me feel welcome, encouraged me through my awkward moments, unlocked my sense of timing, taught me a variety of dance steps to cover almost any social situation, and provided an environment which builds confidence as well as long-lasting friendships with other students. Over the course of my lessons I've had the priviledge of seeing the instructors work with other students. Every interaction is unique, tailored to each student's needs, style of learning and interests. The studio is filled with laughter and support. So, who wants to dance? Let's go NOW!
- Wow, where do I begin... Arthur Murray has been such an amazing gift to my life and my dancing. I started at this studio a little shy of a year ago and I have absolutely no regrets. From the moment you start as a student there, you are made to feel like part of the family. The entire team, from the staff to the instructors, genuinely cares about your progress and really helps you achieve your goals. Yes, it can be a very costly part of your life, but it is well worth it. You get the chance to be a performing star or even to gain the confidence to dance socially because everyone at Arthur Murray welcomes you with open arms, despite your previous dance experience. There are not enough words or compliments I can give Arthur Murray Orlando because I am so proud to be a part of their family!A Google User
- The people are all nice it's a good atmasphere and everyone has a good time.A Google User
- A place full of Masters!Shaketh S.
- Loved it! Had a wonderful time and can't wait to take it back up!Apryl C.
- Everyone is extremely helpful and always in a great mood! I love coming to dance!!!Nicole P.